Sunday, February 10, 2013

Media Magic Response

While reflecting on my own culture, although at this point I do not know exactly what that is, this article is truely putting what we see in the media into text. It truly does not expose those who use the media as sources of reference to the homeless or even the working class.

The first time I ever saw, or rather noticed, a homeless person was in Boston on my way to Fenway for a Red Sox game my father had won tickets to. I wasn't too young to understand that some people didn't have a home, but for some reason it was still shocking. I was blind to the real world that I was a part of. I realized it existed but had never been exposed to it.

Mantios does a good job at relating the amount of media people intake in a given week and how little we realize is going on. The idea of the "upper" class is at least somewhat maliscious in some sense is also something i have been thinking of lately, that is now justified by the article. It feels like someone needs to take advantage of another human, somehow, to be successfull. If you have millions of dollars, why not share hat with employees, charities, or just people that they see need it in general.

Some ending questions I have coming from this reading:

Is the middle class decreasing out of existance in America?

Would the media ever show our poor in any light other than negative such as how resourcful or how they are the victim that this society has produced?

Will our country become like the major industial countries such as China with its poor work laws and low wages if the rich just keep taking money and the poor are left to divide what is left?

1 comment:

  1. I just posted some charts on the decline of the middle class that might answer one of your questions. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete